Tuesday, November 25, 2008
Days in the NICU
Mom & dad went home without me, they were sad, but knew I was being taken care of by the best! They came to visit me everyday! I also had other visitors, some could come back to see me but not all, the rules are strict there.
I had a feeding tube for the first 3 days while I was sediated so I didn't burn up calories. I was jaundice and had some cool sunglasses to protect my eyes from the bililights. I had lots of monitors, wires everywhere. I would pull them off as often as I could, rotten already! Mom fed me on the 4th day, I was eating just 10cc (a teaspoon). I would hold my head up like a big boy! Strong as an ox! They bumped up my formula amounts real fast everyday & I got fats and lots of nutrients. I had lots of tests & xrays done. I was doing well & doing what I was told to do!
Dr. Hilmo would call mommy each day to update her in the AM, they would visit each evening then. They were pleased w/my progress. After a week in there, I got a PICC line which they usually put in thru your head. It's like an IV, but for longer use, than the others. So I was down to just that & my regular monitors. Mom & dad liked to see all the stuff gone but hated to see that on the side of my head. I still have a bald spot where they shaved my hair! I didn't have to have it for long though, it had to come out to have a MRI done. I was close to coming home!
By the end of my 13 day stay, I was eating almost 2oz every 3 hours. My weight went up & down, but left weighing 5lbs. Mom & dad spent the night w/me the day before I was released. I was so happy!! So were they! We came home on Tuesday, Nov 25th. Just in time for Turkey Day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment